The Fonts of Power.


The Fonts of Power


I like fonts, and I inherited that from my parents; they used to draw varios, extremely decorated versions of the letters. We always had some catalogues produced by companies that sell fonts, although my parents jobs had nothing in common with graphic. These are my favourite fonts:



De Vinne is the most beautiful, but it has no bold version. The contrast between thin and thick lines is so strong, that authors didn't mean it to be used for real texts, only for titles and similar purposes. It is so called "display font."

I had one problem with these fonts: there is no lambda character (or other Greek characters, but I need lambda). So, I transplanted it from similar and more popular, although less elegant Century Schoolbook BT. Originally I thought to write how I did it, but it is too simple - everyone who needs lambda in his fonts is probably experienced enough to figure how to do that for himself, so I'll only recommend one open source (Font Forge) and one shareware (Font Creator) program that could do that.

However, maybe I have something related to fonts to show.

While playing with these lambdas, I got the idea to take a look on the fonts used by the most powerful institutions of our planet. If programmers think so much about fonts they use in their editors, articles, reports, web sites and so forth, how about politicians? They write very important documents, like international laws, peace treaties, constitutions ... Do they care (or at least pay someone who cares) about fonts used in their documents? Well, some obviously do, but some use the most usual fonts, so I'm not really sure. The winner is Chinese government - they managed to use only one font, and that one is - monospaced (although "justified" instead of "aligned left".) Check for yourself - and Happy New Year 2011.



















3 comments:

  1. You can see that the European Union cares about this: the page you show uses exclusively fonts designed for the EU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi
    you know how use google maps with allegro common lisp ???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know. This might be good place to start searching:

    http://www.franz.com/support/acl.forum.lhtml

    ReplyDelete